Monday, June 9, 2008

Quiet Times at Talemaker

Mommy, mommy, mommy - I don't have to share Abigail any longer - what fun!

Fiona was in an interesting mood this morning as suddenly no visitors and no competition to play with Abs. All the visitors and new dogs play with Abs as she is a play monster with a calming projection about her. Fiona is a boisterous play monster who pounces, seduces and takes advantage. hahahahaha It takes the new comers a bit of time to 'get' that.

But Fiona thinks there is nothing like a little Abs in her life or is that a lot of Abs in her life. As I type this, they are side by side and usually Abs doesn't do side by side except with the human daddy but with Fiona - well she allows and even seems to enjoy.

Last night we had a rip roaring storm to come through - their first one and the pups reacted. Fiona started barking her fool head off and Abs just sort of slunk behind and away from the noise and flashes of light. Of course we have a golden that doesn't do storms too well since we got her as a rescue but we have managed to slowly condition her crazy uncontrollable behavior out of her. So, as determined as I am to not allow such a fear to set in, I took Fiona out in the storm (yes to me the barking was - I am unsure of this ruckus) and I had Abs beside me. I said 'silly girl, silly girl' which is my code word for - 'I have this handled and therefore there is nothing to worry about'. I then took them inside and they didn't react any further. It worked so their fear did not get into a deeper level where it would have taken more conditioning to get it to work.

I am proactive in conditioning them out of fear issues. Today I have a blue tarp over the picnic table and the Abs was nervous about it as it was flapping and making sounds and going every which way. I was cleaning it for the show this weekend. I took her over to it. I actually put her on top of the picnic table where the tarp was laying on and said 'silly girl, silly girl' - there goes those words again. I then placed her under the table - had her walking on it and although she didn't totally trust it when we were done, she was able to go past it and walk on it.

Our dogs go through fear periods and it is our job to help them find coping skills. By being proactive, you can eliminate or reduce the fear they may have with new things. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your dog. It means they are normal. It's how you handle it that matters. Coddling only increases and validates the reaction. You can help them more by small exposures in a positive way even if you firmly place their paws on the item, talk calm and positive and even if you are fearful - do not show it - get empowered and it will work. If we can reduce the fear in our retriever by 95% - and she was a total mess when we got her, think of how you can help a dog where fears have not been so solidified that it becomes their coping skill.

All humans and canines alike have fears. Think about it. You may or may not have any clue how the fear settled in but it did and if you had no choice and slowly was conditioned to whatever you were fearful about, the feat would dissipate. The unknown is always a concern but once you learn coping skills, you look forward to the unknown. Some even relish them.

So, do your part and help your little ones find solutions and skills so they can be balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment