Sunday, June 29, 2008

Socialize Your Havanese

Last night I was walking Shoshi and Terra (our retriever and our - had no backbone - but a heart dog Shoshi). I tell you this as it has relevance. I got to the French school about 10 minutes away from the house and a guy with 8 dogs got there just before me and proceeded to let the dogs off the leash. It is not an off lead area. It's a school yard. Granted school is over - its night etc but still 8 dogs.

Well, we had no time to see that he released the dogs and I should have went another route but I actually curtailed it as I was also going to go through the school yard and out through a park but couldn't now.

The dogs - all shapes, sizes and breeds rushed Terra and Shoshi and Terra started drooling (stress big-time) and one of the dogs this guy had started growling. Terra continued to drool and Shoshi started to growl back in a vicious voice as if she was serious. The guy yelled from across the yard - he was a distance away that all the dogs are friendly and not to worry - they will say hi and leave. Well, one was not friendly but the rest seemed to be. Shoshi - who never had backbone has become slowly empowered by the pack - her pack. For her - who came way too early to us - she has found her spot and become better for it. Not that growling at a dog is a good thing but in this circumstance it was communications and was necessary. Often people do not understand the difference betwewen aggression and communications and a dog must be able to tell another - ENOUGH!

Well, Shoshi told the other dog 'enough' and the dog did listen and leave and Terra was relieved. It was not a fear growl but a protect my pack growl and I have thus over time realized and can hear and see the difference.

You could see it in her body and Shoshi then strutted like - mommy - see what I did? It's the same strut we get when she chases the ducks and is so proud of herself.

When you have a pack that is so tight knit like ours - each with their roles, it's interesting to watch. A new visitor that comes in throws the entire pack off and it takes days to adjust fully - hours at times with some and immediately with others. It all depends on the visitor and if he/she is sending out signals that the pack doesn't appreciate.

Shoshi - who hid under the chairs at obedience class and was frightened of the world walks with confidence on walks now. It took time and many situations where she learned to feel empowered but it happens so anyone who has a skittish dog - don't give up.


Keep giving them exposure and experiences in a positive way and they will get there if you don't give up. Shoshi is still the heart dog we started with but she is not the same dog as she was. She may have been without the pack, I imagine but we will never know.


Socialize people - it's well worth it!


We are on a mission to expose the Fiona to all sorts of dogs and situations and did this with Abigail. It makes a huge difference - Home Depot you can bring them in and they hear all sorts of noises and PetSmart and any garden center etc. Do it EVERY day for weeks and you will see a HUGE difference. What's 20 minutes out of your day?


I have way too much work - been working from 5amish to 11pm many, many night and its getting old but I take breaks - get dogs walking, me walking and then I can code again without mistakes. It's called balance but oh I wish I would win the lottery. I would quit working - invest my time totally in the dogs and get de-stressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment