Saturday, June 7, 2008

Woofstock - ing It Havanese Style

Well, Fiona and I are off to Woofstock but Daddy had to buy into the combined government and big oil robbery by adding gas to the van. Oh - but how else could we go to our much enjoyed Woofstock. They sure have us by the ...... fill in the blank.

Fiona wasn't sure of it all at first. She had her tail down trying to survey all the dogs and people and - oh boy there were a ton of those in this sweltering heat. But after meeting other Havanese and getting used to the meet and greet, her tail went up and so did everyone else's.

This is GREAT socialization for our guys if you are proactive in watching the signs of dogs that aren't friendly.

Woofstock can be a tad overwhelming for those that haven't seen this many dogs at once before. This was Katsuro's 2nd year so he wasn't ruffled in the least.

We were able to hookup with Yvonne, Flora and Downsey. We didn't see anyone else from the Hav group.

You can click on any photo to see a larger version.

Downsey is Fiona's sister. Flora is from an earlier breeding of Yvonnes. You will see her at the Orono show and you will also get to see Miss Abs there.

Well, we were lucky enough to bump into a really nice lady that had the 'Rens Pet of the Month' photo of Abigail. Please post and tell me your name. Silly me for not getting it. I want to thank you SOOOOOO much for bringing it. I need one more copy - if anyone has one so I can send it to Miss Abigail's breeder. Thanks ever so much again.

It was Havanese heaven of sorts and we kept bumping into a number of them but I didn't get photos of all. Sorry. But, one was a deep red colour so I wanted to share it with you and no that cutie in the back is not a Havanese. ROFL!

We got a ton of samples from shampoo to treats. Let's see - to cover a small sample, we got 'Barking Mad' natural treats, Benny Bullys (small packages of 4 different new types and we also bought some, Natural Planet Organic dog food, to training pads, poop bags, to Doggie Dinner casserole - frozen and much more.

Poor Fiona loved all the treats so much that she came home to a tummy ache - loose bowels - sigh. See - even someone who knows better needs to remind themselves that Havanese normally can't have so many variety of treats at once and she loved them all. Katsuro was picky and didn't eat but a few.

We also saw some really cool jackets and collars and I mean way different ones from molded what have yous growing from the coat - hahahaha. You have to see it to know what I mean.

Talking about red Havanese, we saw a red sable with a puppy cut called Jasmine. It had such a tight curl that I imagine it is much easier to care for in a shorter hair-do. It reminds me of my Shoshi who is from teh same kennel.

All of the Havanese were friendly. We only saw a handful of non-Havanese that were unfriendly but they came in all sizes. The owners were proactive though - all but one.

We talked to a guy that had a Havanese that was manning a booth. He just adored seeing more of these guys.

We talked to people that were waiting for a puppy - to those that had just acquired one and the list went on.

The colours all varied as you can see in this photo. It was fun to see so many out and about. I wish I could go back tomorrow with 2 different dogs but how many samples can someone get. hahahaha

What will you see at Woofstock? Many, many vendors, lots of dogs, tons of people and maybe a ton of Havanese - if you are lucky.

What was missing this year? The Wellness booth, the spraying thing guy, the greenies booth unless we missed some of the show but we saw many new ones as well including a shampoo company up from the states. I can't promise I will try it on Miss Abigail for the show but I may try it on someone else and then try it on Abs when she's not needing to look her best. Each shampoo reacts on each dog differently thus - the - we will wait on her. More later when we try it.

If you are going to Woofstock tomorrow, be sure to bring water for you and your dog but one of the vendors had ICE cold water - yum and we gave some to the dogs whose tongues were hanging down to the ground in need of refreshment. Just check out that tongue on Katsuro. Hey, mom - it's downright hot out here - you know! We probably gave them something to drink every 10 minutes throughout our visit. It was that hot.

Many vendors gave away frozen yogurt for the dogs. Our dogs weren't a fan of any of them.

We did manage to get some great beds for a CHEAP price. They are way soft and I will tell you the dogs loved them. I also bought a cooling coat for Fiona but it was actually too big and was hanging down on her. It fits the Miss Abs perfectly and that is what she will have on her during outdoor shows. Ten minutes before I can just fluff her up and she will be ready to go and she will stay cool. We have another one coming in the mail as they were running out of the toy size FAST. Anyone who does outside activities in the heat should consider one as they are light and stay cool for a long time. I got home and ours was still cold.

What else - well I know this is not a Havanese but it rather sums up the day. It was a DOG day for sure in so many ways. You should head to Woofstock tomorrow. You will be glad you did.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you all had a wonderful day! So fun to see the pics of the red Havs, so beautiful. Also fun to see the pretty dane on the bottom of the post, although I'll never understand how some people would want to crop their pups ears. It looks cool, I know, but our big boy was just as beautiful with natural ears and I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most countries now (of course not in the U.S. and I see probably not in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! That curly red with the short hair cut is my Jasmine from Jomaran's in Saskatchewan. She'll be 6 at the end of the summer.

    She does go very curly when she gets wet. Her groomer can make it nice and straight, but it's beyond my grooming skills.

    I loved seeing all yours with their beautiful long coats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnx Sarah - I updated the page with her name. That's right. That curl reminds me of our Shoshi who came from the same place. I can barely get her straight. heh

    It was great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete