Friday, October 17, 2008

Havanese Almost One Night Stand

Having a male that is intact with a house full of females makes you acutely aware of the stress they go through when the females are taken away.

As you can see here, Kat looks downright sad and stayed up half the night looking for the girls that left. Although he saw them leave, I gather he had wish-filled thinking that they made their way back. It's rather pathetic as he whines for them but after 24 hours - it usually goes away. This whole scenario is known as 'doing an Elvis' - meaning leaving the building - checking out. There are still some people that believe they see Elvis. One wonders if Kat would be seeing his gals - his in his mind - in his dreams - if he lets himself sleep. I think if I had my druthers - I would have all females and no males. Oh males are sensitive souls - I adore them but if they are intact and you have intact females - well you go through all this stuff wondering how fair it all is to the boys emotional state.

That first 24 hours - you may as not clean them as they spend their time sniffing and sticking their face everywhere trying to get their scent. They don't sleep - they don't eat. I brush and use a waterless shampoo but it is all fruitless till this emotional state goes away.

I did manage to get a new bar for my grooming table and its heavy duty. I will try it out when I feel better and along with that shipment came a Madan brush and Vellus brush and I will let you know how that goes. I get this stuff from Doug at K9Grooming Supplies. He will be at Trillium so if you need anything from him, send him mail. He will bring it to the show. He has great grooming tips and I mean everything he has told me has panned out and he doesn't sell me something I don't need and gets things he doesn't sell for me. He's a great guy to support - seriously.

So, today I will try both brushes and let you know how it goes. Brushes are important to me as I need to keep the coats in good shape for shows especially when you have a playful dog like Abs who mucks it up with everyone and therefore gets her coat chewed.

More later and after a bit of work - may take a lunch break of snuggling with Havanese on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment