Saturday, April 25, 2009

To Crate or Not Your Havanese

Some people think of crates as a cage and I guess as a human we perceive it that way and some dogs do not like it but maybe we are impressing on them our own feelings? We make sure all our puppies are comfie with crates by putting one in with them with an open door early on. This way if they ever have to stay over night at a vets, they have their comfort level. We also leave them open under our desks and use them at dog shows when I am doing two or more dogs. This way, one can sit safely while I am grooming the other but I don't walk away and leave them in it.

I will never feel safe just walking away at a show and leaving them in one. I would rather walk them around with me. Pros with many dogs have to but we will never be at that stage.

But what if you don't do dog shows? Well, I find with toys in it, my dogs LOVE their crates but I use it as a bed - a retreat and they rather like that. You will always find one or two hanging out in one just because they want to be close and have the cushy comfort.
Our dogs sleep on our beds, lounge on our couches and chairs and enjoy all the comforts but we owe them to get them to feel that a crate is safe. That way, if they are ill and have to stay in one, well a crate will be comfort not stress.

One hopes they never get ill but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment