Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter Clothes, Tips and Today's Fun

I think the kids get too much air time around this place. Just because we oldsters - well I am not really that old, Mommy don't play like banshees as much - well we are interesting TOO!!!

Heck, check out this new hairdo. I tend to always have an interesting look despite that Mommy grooming me. Today she took a break though and I am so thankful. She just forgot to give me a treat and yeah I know I get it when I get groomed but it was her choice to have a break.

Mommy usually grooms us thoroughly every day but every now and then she takes a break and that's okay too. The dawgs like the break. On those days she makes sure the hair is out of the eyes but you couldn't tell with this photo.

Check out today's photos of the crew to see a larger and fuller view. We still have KitKat till tomorrow or Monday. Daisy goes home Tuesday and we will be puppy-less again.



We got asked by many people about winter jackets. I have a slew. It's insane how many I bought. I have some faves. But you have to understand that by buying so many, I learn what works and what doesn't.

Many times we do not use jackets but when you have a really cold brr weather and a short coat on your Havanese, you may want to think of the extra step to go to make sure your Havanese can walk comfortably.

There is also a time when the snow is wet and it sticks to their hair and it creates snow balls all over their underside.

It's not pretty and can be downright cold. Depending on the Havanese, it will be a mild irritation to - I do NOT like this!

This is a photo of a Fiona, Kat puppy stylin in one of our fave sweaters. Why do we like it? It's stretchy, comfortable - easy to put on and fast! It also is one of the warmer ones. I have a ton of sweaters and jackets. Over the next few, I will put one or the other on a different dawg and show you and tell you why I like it and why I don't.

Here is what I learned about winter coats.

1. If you can't put it on easily, do not buy it. You won't use it.

2. You need to cover the tummy and a zipper or Velcro on top is easier though Velcro and zippers catch the hair unless you have a flap to cover the opening. A thin sweater underneath works too and layers is warmer.

3. It must be washable and waterproof or water resistant is best.

4. You can get away with an easy over the head sweater at times as we do and no coat.

5. If this is your Havanese's first snow winter, it will be cold but will adapt.

6. If you get a waterproof snowsuit, get the legs shortened. They always are way too long. Any seamstress can actually do it or you can tack it yourself. Then as they grow you can let it out. That is what I did with the snowsuits I got last year.

I find it a pain to dress so many dawgs and we do take them for walks in the winter time as they do still need it. But 4 at a time - 2 on Nathan 2 on me - I can do it but if it's not heavy snow that will create those lovely snowballs that you have to brush out and/or rinse off and dry - well I will put a sweater on and that's plain easier but wet snow, well you do the work ahead of time by dressing and you save the work on the return.

If you want to show you clothes that work for us, let me know. I will dig them all out of everywhere I have them.

Before I forget, please check out our Christmas Safety Tips. Plus check out our Everything Havanese Tips. I haven't updated it in awhile but the info is still timely, I think. Just have to look back and update it but the only changes was new items I have learned and I am always learning new things - even grooming. With the dawgs, I am always learning and looking for easier ways of doing things so I can spend quality fun time with the dawgs.

When they say we have gone to the dawgs - well it's really describing us...ROFL!

2 comments:

  1. darlah,
    do you have one of these?
    if not, go ahead, buy one! they are AWESOME!
    i splurged and bought one at a dog show in calgary a few years back, liked it so much I thought Holly should have one too.
    http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/browse/category/id/RC_Coat#main_panel

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I love all the pictures! Your dogs are adorable. Is Gidget yours?

    I have a havachon. Any tips for those snow balls that their legs pick up when they play outside? My boy loves the snow but once we figured out he was becoming a snowball himself, it wasn't all that fun anymore.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete